Accounting Society is a professional student organization within the University of Southern California’s Leventhal School of Accounting, comprised of students who are interested in a career in the accounting and finance fields. Our purpose is to provide an opportunity for you to become more familiar with and involved in the accounting world. At USC, Accounting Society enjoys a unique advantage resulting from the special relationship the Leventhal School of Accounting has with the accounting profession.
Accounting Society provides many opportunities for students to meet knowledgeable and enthusiastic accounting professionals from top CPA firms, The Big Four: KPMG, EY, Deloitte, and PwC, as well as professionals working in the private industry. Accounting Society also provides an opportunity for students to interact with other students interested in accounting. As a result, membership provides an excellent opportunity for career planning by enhancing students’ scope and exposure to the industry. Membership in Accounting Society has a wide range of benefits, which include:
• AS Mentorship Program (ASMP) – ASMP gives you an opportunity to develop an ongoing relationship with an accounting professional. Each member is paired with a mentor that is currently working in the accounting field. Events include a mock interview and a kick-off dinner. You must apply to be a part of this program; participation is limited and requires a commitment of one semester. For questions regarding the AS Mentoring Program, please contact your Mentorship Coordinator, Christine Bui.
• Weekly Meetings – Meetings are held every Monday at 8 pm to 9:30 pm , a guest speaker from a public accounting or private industry firm will speak on a relevant topic relating to accounting issues, the recruiting process, interviewing skills, networking, or career opportunities with their company. Dinner will also be provided for all members during each meeting. If you have any suggestions for dinner, please contact your Director of Internal Affairs, Vu Bui.
• Meet the Firms – Meet the Firms is a reception that provides you with an opportunity to meet and directly interact with representatives from the accounting field such as: firm recruiters, staff members, managers, and partners from various CPA firms. Attendance is not required but is suggested as MTF is one of the best opportunities to get out and network with professionals from many diverse companies.
• Firm Tours & Socials – Throughout the semester, CPA firms located in the Los Angeles and Orange County areas sponsor tours of their offices and social events. You will have the opportunity to speak with professionals at different levels, allowing familiarization with the firm’s auditing, tax, and management consulting departments. Questions regarding firm events can be directed to your Vice President of Activities, Jonathan Xue.
• AS Sponsored Events – These events provide an opportunity to meet other Accounting Society members and interact with them in a setting outside of the classroom. Some of the events AS has sponsored in recent semesters include basketball tournaments, trips to Six Flags Magic Mountain, BBQs, movie night, bowling night, hiking trips and our traditional semester-end Wrap-up Dinners.
• Development Workshops and Mock Interviews – Throughout the semester, AS officers will present interactive workshops to help answer commonly asked questions, such as: “What should I say to a recruiter? What should I wear to a firm event? How do I sign-up for interviews?” Participation in these workshops will help you learn business etiquette and networking skills while also getting to know your fellow AS members. The mock interviews will give you a chance to practice interviewing techniques to prepare for your actual interviews.
• Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) – Each spring, AS members assist in the preparation of tax returns for low-income families in the Los Angeles community.
Note: All Firm tours, Meet the Firms, and mock interviews require professional business attire. The dress code for Firm sponsored socials and AS sponsored events will vary depending on the nature of the activity. Questions concerning appropriate attire can be directed to your Director of Public Relations, Jason Mapili (ASDirectorPublicRelationsUSC@gmail.com).